Amending a Return

How do I amend a return?

Withholding and Sales/Use
If you discover an error on a previously-filed withholding or sales/use return, you can amend it through eFile & Pay within the 3-year statute of limitations. This applies to quarterly and annual returns.

After you log in and select the permit you wish to amend, select the tax period by clicking the drop down arrow to the right of the default tax period.  If you are a quarterly filer, you can choose any of the twelve most recent quarters to amend, in addition to the current quarter.

Enter the information as it should have been reported originally, not merely the difference between the original and corrected amounts. The amended return replaces the original.

Payments – Amending a Return Will NOT Stop a Previously Scheduled ePayment
When a return is amended, the ePayment scheduled when the original return was filed is not automatically cancelled.  If an ePayment needs to be canceled, the cancellation must be done at least one business day before payment date, or before 3 p.m. CT on the day the payment was confirmed. To cancel a current or delinquent transaction on the same day it was initiated, the cancelation must be completed that same day by 3 p.m. CT.

On the deposit / overpayment line, enter all payments made during the period, including the final payment made with the original return, unless that payment was canceled through eFile & Pay as described above.

If additional payment is due, it can be made electronically. Taxpayers who are allowed to pay by mail may send a paper check.

Can I amend a Withholding or Sales/Use deposit?
You cannot amend a monthly or semi-monthly deposit.

If you overpaid a deposit, simply claim the payments made when you file the quarterly return.  If there is still an overpayment at the end of the quarter, you will be given options for handling the overpayment at that time.

If you underpaid a deposit, you can make an additional payment from the main menu under “Make a Payment”.  Be sure to claim all payments when you file the quarterly return. 

Motor Fuel Tax
An error on a fuel tax return can be corrected by filing an amended monthly return within the 3-year statute of limitations for the month in which the error occurred. An overpayment on an amended fuel tax return will be refunded. If additional payment is due, payment must be made electronically through ePay or ACH Credit.