Iowa Tax Return Deadlines Extended for Storm Damaged Areas
April 16, 2012,
Des Moines, Iowa
In response to Governor Branstad's disaster declarations for Fremont and Union Counties, the Iowa Department of Revenue (IDR) has granted extensions to file 2011 income tax returns, quarterly sales/use tax returns, and quarterly withholding tax returns. Taxpayers whose principal business or residence was affected by April 14/15 storms in Fremont and Union counties will have until June 30, 2012 to file the quarterly Iowa sales/use tax and withholding returns for the period ending March 31, 2012. Impacted taxpayers will also have until June 30, 2012 to file their 2011 Iowa income tax returns, normally due on April 30, 2012. Penalties and interest will also be waived for taxpayers located in one of the disaster areas.
When filing a 2011 income tax return on extension:
- Taxpayers filing electronically should disregard any penalty or interest calculated and pay only the tax due.
- Taxpayers filing on paper should also disregard penalty or interest and include a note with the return indicating they are filing under the extension granted to residents of Fremont and Union counties.
When filing a sales/use or withholding return on extension for the period ending March 31, 2012, taxpayers should:
- Select the correct period for the return being filed through the IDR eFile & Pay system.
- Choose Jan 1 – Mar 31, 2012, for the March quarterly return.
- Choose Apr 1 – June 30, 2012, for the June quarterly return.
- File separate returns for March and June; do not combine on one return
- The IDR eFile & Pay system will automatically calculate penalty and interest if the March return is filed after April 30, 2012. IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN ONE OF THE COUNTIES LISTED ABOVE, and file no later than June 30, disregard the penalty and interest calculated for the March 2012 quarter and pay only the tax due.