Do you have questions about Iowa property tax?
Property Tax Administrator
The Property Tax Division assists local governments in making property tax assessments fair and in compliance with the law. The division performs the following functions:
- Provides technical assistance and educational programs for assessors and board of review members
- Administers certification exams for assessors and deputy assessors
- Issues equalization orders to county auditors every two years based on comparisons of sales and department appraisals to assessed values
- Assesses all railroad, utilities and pipelines in the state
- Advises local government officials and taxpayers on property tax issues, including credits and exemptions and appraisal methodology