Resources for Small Businesses
Iowa Department of Economic Development
- Business Development Programs
- Comprehensive assistance and informational materials
for Iowa small business start-ups
- Financial assistance for small business start-ups
- Comprehensive business license information
- Minority- and female-owned small business assistance
New Business Resources
- Mail: Iowa Department of Economic Development, Business
Development Programs, 200 East Grand, Des Moines IA 50309
- Call: 1.800.245.4692 in Iowa or 515.725.3107
- For assistance in bidding on federal government contracts, call the Iowa Procurement Outreach Center at 1.800.458.4465.
United States Small Business Administration
- Largest single financial backer of small businesses
- Provides financial, technical and management assistance to start, run and grow businesses
- Federal procurement, research and development, counseling and training, assistance for target groups, referrals to other resources, such as SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives) and Iowa Small Business Development Centers
Contacting the U.S. SBA
Iowa Small Business Development Center
- Provides hands-on, practical assistance to Iowa 's businesses.
- Helps new and existing business owners develop and grow their businesses.
- Provides free counseling, conducts market research, and trains business people in many topics, including business planning, management, financing, and operating small businesses.
- Has 15 regional business assistance centers across Iowa.
Contacting the Small Business Development Centers
Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE)
- Counselors to America’s Small Business
- Help with start-ups and business plans
- No-fee mentoring and counseling
- Low-cost workshops
- Locations throughout Iowa