Individual Income Tax: What if I Can't Pay My Balance in Full?
Balance due? Can’t pay in full?
- File your income tax return and pay what you can.
- We suggest making voluntary payments prior to receiving a bill.
- You will be billed for the balance after your return is processed, including any penalty and/or interest due.
- Once you receive a bill, contact the phone number on the bill to discuss any remaining balance due, including the possibility of a payment plan. Iowa does not have a payment plan option until after a bill is issued.
- Interest will accrue on the first of each month until the balance is paid.
- Make one or multiple individual income payments electronically
- Pay by free direct debit through eFile & Pay
Pay by check:
- Make one or multiple individual income payments using the IA 1040V payment voucher
- Mail check and payment voucher to Iowa Department of Revenue (mailing address on voucher)
- Payment vouchers are found on our individual income tax forms page