You must have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader downloaded onto your computer to open .pdf files. You can tell a file is the .pdf format by its extension; that is, the file name ends in ".pdf"
Two different versions of Adobe Reader installed at the same time may cause problems. If you have an older version of Adobe Reader, it is best to uninstall it first and then install the newest version.
Use the most current version of Acrobat Reader.
Use the most current version of your browser.
Are you in a business environment? Contact your computer technology people. Oftentimes, they are able to assist you.
See clues and resources below
- Pdf files appear as a blank window when opened within the browser.
- If you are using an old version of Adobe Acrobat Reader, upgrade to the newest version. See link above.
- Try the following:
- First, close any Internet windows you have open
- Open Acrobat Reader
- Go to Edit - select Preferences
- Uncheck the box “display pdf in browser” - or - if it is not checked, check it.
- Close Acrobat Reader
- Re-open your Internet - PDF’s should now open
- Use "Save Target As..." or "Save Link As…" Option: Right-click the mouse on the link of the file you want. Do not open the file. Choose "Save Target/Link As" and save to your computer; open from there.
- This can be related to a slow connection, the server has a high load, or the .pdf file being very large.
- Error message "color space not found"
First, make sure you are using a recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 4.05 or newer). If this does not solve the problem, then download the PDF document directly to your computer.
- Error message referring to "Cs8"
If you receive a message referring to a "Cs8" error then you may have Adobe Acrobat Reader version 3.0 set as your default.
- View or print .pdf documents with WebTV?
No, WebTV users are not able to view or print PDF documents.
- Words run together with no spaces between them when printed, although everything looks fine on the screen
- Update Acrobat Reader to the most recent version.
- Obtain and install the most recent print driver available for your particular make and model printer. Most printer manufacturers provide free printer driver updates from their Web sites.
- Pages print blank
Try using Acrobat Reader’s print icon instead of File/Print or Ctrl/Print.